Serves 4 -6
|3 qt. Saucepan|
- 2 lbs. fresh asparagus
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 9 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. onion (#2 cone)
- 2pcs egg yolks
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/4 fat-free light cream
- 6 tbsp. flour
- dash of white pepper
- Peel each asparagus stalk, removing skin and tough outer flesh.
- Cut stalks in 1/2" lengths and set them aside.
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to whistle with salt over moderate heat.
- Drop-in asparagus and cook slowly for 5 to 8 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain stock into a bowl, reduce heat to low and set tips aside.
- In the same saucepan, add 5 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in flour - stirring constantly for a minute or two. Do not brown.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly, pour in the stock and whisk together until stock and roux are blended.
- Return to low heat - cook until soup is thickened s and is perfectly smooth.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- Stir in cut-up asparagus stalks and onions.
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir into the soup base and cook over low heat.
- Puree the soup through a food mill into a mixing bowl and then through a fine sieve and back into the pan.
- Blend egg yolks and cream in a medium-size mixing bowl, using a wire whisk.
- Whisk in the pureed soup, a couple of tbsp. at a time until fi cup has been added.
- Now whisk the warmed egg yolk and cream mixture into the soup.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Add reserved asparagus tips and ladle soup into a tureen or serve individually.
Why You Should Eat More Asparagus
- Many Nutrients But Few Calories
- Good Source of Antioxidants
- Can Improve Digestive Health
- Helps Support a Healthy Pregnancy
- Helps Lower Blood Pressure
- Can Help You Lose Weight
- Easy to Add to Your Diet
Asparagus is a nutritious and tasty addition to any diet. It’s low in calories and a great source of nutrients, including fiber, folate, and vitamins A, C, and K.
Additionally, eating asparagus has a number of potential health benefits, including weight loss, improved digestion, healthy pregnancy outcomes, and lower blood pressure.
Plus, it’s inexpensive, easy to prepare, and makes a delicious addition to a number of recipes.